From left: Ben, Anusha, Yifan, Jessica, Aaron, Jess, Greg Gage (not a Fellow), Maria, Dan, Anastasiya, Molly, Ilya
Meet the Fellows, See the Projects
The fellows are off to a great start! This week has been focused on them getting their feet wet with our kits and learning about what we do here at Backyard Brains. Be sure to keep checking back for their blog posts introducing their projects:
- Jess – No Nose, No Mouth, No Problems: the Silkmoth Story
- Jessica – Introducing Pavlov’s…Plants?
- Yifan – Know Your Birds
- Ilya – Neurorobot Vision
- Aaron – Nothing In Life Is Free
- Dan – Rock ‘Em Sock ‘Em…Shrimps?!
- Anusha – Creating Professor X
- Molly – Bee-search: How Do Bees See
- Maria – Electric Relaxation
- Anastasiya – Secret Life of Jellyfish
- Ben – Python
As part of the fellowship, our new members will be keeping you updated with a number of blog posts, charting their summer research experiences. These posts are a great window in the world of citizen science! From start to finish, you can follow along with our fellows as they experience the triumphs and pitfalls of scientific inquiry.
You’ll be hearing a lot about our fellows and their projects for the next ten weeks. They’re excited to introduce themselves and their projects to you soon. Keep an eye out here, on our Facebook page, and Twitter for project updates and more!
The team has been working hard to bring their projects to life. Check out these first update blog posts on their rig construction and data collection efforts!
- Jess – Becoming a #MothMom
- Jessica – Plant Nanny: If at first you don’t succeed, Try, try, try again
- Yifan – Human, Quiet, Crow: Teaching Computers to Distinguish Birdsong
- Ilya – Neurorobot on Wheels
- Dan – Mantis Shrimp: I Want You To Do Me A Favor. I Want You To Hit Me As Hard As You Can.
- Molly – Bee-lieve You Can and You’re Halfway There: The Prototyping Process
- Aaron – Is It Actually My Choice To Not Title This Post?
- Anusha – In Search of the Mu Rhythm
- Anastasiya – Jellies, and GUIs, and Costumes, Oh My!
- Maria – Meditation Data or Bust
Second Progress Reports:
Science marches ever onward! The Fellows have kept plugging away on their research in between all the fun and games, and here are their newest updates!